As you may know, one of our YoValues is Community Engagement. This means we want to keep you informed about what we’re doing and why, as well as giving you the opportunity to send us your feedback and suggestions.
In this post we’ll be discussing the hottest topic of them all: Free Gift items.
We’ve had a lot of feedback on the Free Gift item problem from many different players, and we’ve been thinking long and hard about it in the run up to the transfer.
Originally, we had planned to simply remove all illegitimate Free Gift items if we could. We came to this decision due to a few reasons:
- They were created by cheaters who had exploited the game.
- Cheating is not acceptable. If gone unchecked, it would jeopardize the future of YoWorld.
- Illegitimate Free Gift items ruin the game for honest players.
- Having rare items makes the game exciting and gives players something to work towards.
We stand by these points and we think most players would agree with them. However, based on the feedback we’ve received as well as having more information available to us, it turns out not to be feasible to do so. The most important reasons for this are:
- The game didn’t do enough to prevent people from unknowingly trading for Free Gift items in the first place.
- We don’t have the ability to refund people after removing their items.
- Removing only illegitimate items would be a more long term technical challenge than anticipated, and we wanted to deal with this issue swiftly.
The one thing that’s clear to us is that there’s no perfect solution to satisfy every player, so we’re going to do what we think is best given the exceptional circumstances. Our new and improved plan boils down to the following:
- As of right now, all free gift items will be non-tradeable and unsellable. Later, we will attempt to separate the legitimate from the illegitimate so you can trade the real ones again. (let us know if you spot a glitch with this)
- We will begin working on a feature that allows you to see what other players are wearing. Individuals will not be able to pretend that they have the real thing.
- Players who have illegitimate free gift items equipped will be ineligible to participate in any future features where appearances are the core component, for example a halloween costume contest.
- Any accounts with more than a reasonable amount of free gifts will be closely monitored for abuse.
This concludes our current plans for Free Gift items. We’ll let you know about any future changes with this topic as they come up.
Questions, comments or concerns? Contact us using the ‘Help’ tab in-game. Thanks!
Big Viking Games